DR. WALDSTEIN'S LECTURE.

The lectures on archaeology that Dr. Charles Waldstein is delivering at Columbia College are, like all his utterances, not mere resumes of the researches, discoveries and opinions of other scholars, but the result of his own special studies and "finds." The first one, given under the auspices of the Alumni Association of Columbia, on the evening of Jan. 11, was on "The Influence of Athletic Games upon Greek Art." A number of large drawings were used by the lecturer to demonstrate his theory. The Association invited painters, sculptors, writers, and others to attend, and the crowded audience was thoroughly interested throughout. It is to be hoped that Dr. Waldstein's duties as Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum at Cambridge, England, and his lecture courses in the University there, will not prevent other visits, in the lecturing season, to his native city. The solid, and at the same time popular, instruction given by this scholarly and eloquent speaker is just what is needed in America to help direct aright the awakened taste for art in the community. Dr. Waldstein's lecture was repeated last Monday as the first of a series of talks on classical archaeology to be given this winter at Johns Hopkins University. Three lectures will be delivered there in February by Mr. J. T. Clarke, who has had charge of the work at Assos." In February and March, Dr. A. Emerson will deliver six lectures on Olympia.[Critic.