THE BOTANICAL GARDENS.

An interesting piece of work has been begun at the botanic garden. A field of about three fourths of an acre, in extent, situated just north of Dr. Gray's house not heretofore brought into cultivation as a part of the garden is being transformed into a miniature country of mountain, marsh, and plain, wherein, with the coming of spring, will be represented by growing plants the flora of northeastern America. Little effort will be made to imitate the beauties of nature in waterfalls, grottoes, etc, for such efforts are held to meet with little appreciation in this country. The new topography will be constructed simply in order to secure the varied conditions of shade, moisture and temperature, so far as possible, demanded by the plants. The plan is fully to illustrate Dr. Gray's "Manual" which comprises the plants east of the Mississippi River and north of North Carolina. Efforts towards a completion of the collection were made last summer, and, with the stock already in the greenhouse, a pretty full representation will be made at the start. When completed, the collection will give the best possible opportunity for studying the plants of this country