Tennis at Longwood.

Many Harvard men were present at the tennis tournament yesterday and a score of ladies brightened up the grounds of the Longwood club. The playing was finer than on the first day, most of the interest centering in the play of Dwight, Taylor and Sears. Presbrey did some fine playing and it was conceded by the majority that in doubles his play was equal to if not better than Taylor's. However, the undergraduates were no match for the champions, who won two straight sets, 6-5, 6-0. The finals in doubles will be played by Sears and Dwight, vs. Hooper and Dodd. In singles Peirson, '85, was beaten by E. K. Butler, '83, who in turn was defeated by Wheelwright '85. Taylor had a very close shave in playing with Philip Sears, a young brother of the champion, who won the first set and gained 5 and 4 games on each of the others. Taylor had to overcome a heavy handicap which he did by steady playing. Presbrey beat Gillett two sets out of three. This leaves five players still in for the singles, Wheelwright who has the bye, Presbrey vs. Dr. Dwight, and Taylor vs. Shaw, a boy of fifteen, who has so far shown remarkable skill and has a large handicap.