An Emperor at a College Dedication.

The University of Vienna has just completed a beautiful new building on the broad Ring street of the Austrian capital. The building covers a whole block and stands in a neighborhood full of fine architectural structures. It is very rich in frescoes, carving and statues, and attracts the attention of all. The dedication which took place in October was attended by the Emperor Francis Joseph. An eye witness briefly describes the ceremonies as follows:-"The ceremony was simple and brief, and chiefly of interest as marking the beginning of the second half thousand years in the life of the institution, and as showing an Emperor, yes, "His apostolic majesty," delighting to honor higher culture. The monarch, received at the door by the academical senate. was escorted to their hall, not large, and densely packed. He took a chair in front of a table on a low platform, and listened to a fifteen minutes speech from the rector standing on the floor before him. After a few historical sketches he was thanked for his granting the ground for the building to stand on thirty years before, and aiding in its construction at least half as long. In reply the Emperor stood up and read a speech of fourteen lines, rejoicing in the completion of a work which he had always had at heart and trusting that multitudes would make full proof of the institution, and learn there alike science and patriotism. He was greeted with a student song, and a triple shout of "Hoch !" Then several persons prominent in building the pile were presented to him as he walked about, and all was over. His dress was the ordinary Austrian uniform, with no ornaments save the medals and chains of certain orders."