The Amherst Senate.

It is President Seelye's privilege to have been the first college president to carry into successful operation a plan for the government of students by which matters of discipline are discussed and decided by a select body of undergraduates. This judicial tribunal is called by the not inappropriate name of Senate. Its members are chosen by the different classes in the same manner as are their other various officers. Each class is represented, although the number from each varies according to its seniority.

The last important matter brought before the Senate last year was the case of a senior who had grossly violated some college rule. He was tried, found guilty, and his expulsion recommended. The decision was accepted by the Faculty, and the offender was obliged to seek a more congenial clime. At first it was thought by some and strongly maintained by many professors, that a body of students, upon whom so much responsibly devolved, would be inclined to favor the accused, and for fear of unpopularity among their fellow-students, would deal altogether too lightly with him. But this objection was entirely unfounded, as is shown by the summary way in which discipline has been enforced, and the approval with which every decision has been received by the college at large. President Seelye's endorsement of it is most emphatic, and the experiment has succeeded beyond his fondest expectations. At a recent meeting of.