Correspondence.

It has been with great regret that I have observed the position which the Shakspere club is contented to occupy. There appeared in the CRIMSON a short time ago a communication which advanced the claim that a society constituted as the Shakspere club is, cannot meet the oratorical requirements of a great college, and recommended the formation of an intercollegiate oratorical association. While I do not consider this recommendation suited to the requirements of Harvard, in view of the excellent instruction in elocution at present furnished to the students, yet I do believe that a higher educated power of oratory is of no mean importance. Such a society as the Shakspere club is well able to fill any want of the students which is not met by the regular instruction, if it is extensive enough in its scope to excite an interest in its work and lead the students to give greater attention to oratorical study. A society which is carried on in such a manner that, while it may be in full activity, it fails to gather interested outsiders about it cannot compass the work prepared and ready for it. I would recommend greater publicity in the recitals of the club and a closer attention to a course of reading which would be of greater interest to the college at large. While I wish the society every success and extend it my cordial support and good wishes, I cannot but feel that it is not as comprehensive in its movements as it might be if it is sought to interest the students more largely in its plans and in tended course of action.

[The indefiniteness of the announcements of the meetings of the Shakspere club is probably what has put our correspondent at fault. The meeting to-morrow evening is to be a public one.-Ed.