The Kitchen in Memorial.

Yes, we actually descended into this mystery of mysteries, into the place whence has arisen the savor of many a meal in process of preparation. We must confess that it was with some misgivings that we started on our tour of inspection. It has been said that if we once could behold the manipulations of the "culinary artists," we would never again be able to enjoy a dinner without the horrible vision rising before our eyes. But let it be said to the credit of the steward and the management, that, although we were there at a time when there is the most confusion and general disorder-just as the dirty dinner dishes are coming down-nothing could be found which would offend the most fastidious. Everything was scrupulously neat; everyone knew his or her duties, and went about them quietly and systematically.

First, we went into the engine room, where is generated all the steam used in cooking. The boilers are high, but the engine is small, it being used principally to run the laundry which is connected with the kitchen. Here we can get some idea of the scale upon which our Dining Association is conducted. In this laundry, which is used almost exclusively for washing the soiled table linen, are employed four or five women, who have nothing to do except to attend to these duties. Here, too, are the latest improvements in machinery, which saves a vast amount of labor. You can get some idea of the rapidity of work, when you consider the fact that when our present steward first entered upon his duties, there were scarcely enough table clothes to go around once, and when soiled, had to be washed, dried, and ironed between meals. So much for the laundry, a mere incident in the general management.

We now entered the next room, and here something met our gaze which very much puzzled us. It was a large cylindrical tin box, over which hung, suspended by an iron rod connected with the shaft over head, a huge steel blade. We gazed upon it with horror; it carried us back to the days of the French Revolution and the guillotine. We wondered if it might not be an instrument which in the middle ages had been used connected in some way with the Spanish Inquisition. At this point we were informed by our guide, who noticed our perplexity that this was the "hash machine 1"

We next turned into the kitchen proper. Here we saw the immense brick ovens where all the meats are roasted. One was forcibly reminded of the old fashioned ovens of our grandfathers, which produced such an impression upon our childish fancies. A bakery of no mean proportions is a necessary adjunct. It requires no less than two barrels of flour every day to satisfy our desires for the "staff of life." The huge range, upon which all steaks are broiled, and all orders cooked; the vegetable kettles of enormous capacity, and many other immense contrivances did escape our attention.

After inspecting the store rooms and refrigerators, we ascended once more to the regions above, more than ever impressed with the magnitude of the scale upon which our dining hall is conducted.