Prospects for Lacrosse.

The outlook for lacrosse as well as for base ball during the coming season is certainly bright. All the men who played on the twelve last spring in the intercollegiate matches are still studying here, either as undergraduates or law men, and with one exception have signified their intention of trying for places on the team for '85. In addition, Nichols, '83, of the Law School, who last spring played in England with the American team is back, Twombley who played on the Yale twelve of '84, now in the Law school, will play, and there are several very promising new men who were developed as players last spring or at the preparatory schools. The number of candidates being so large the competition for places will be lively and good men ought to fill all the positions. The work in the cage and running and exercise in the gymnasium will be begun at once after Christmas and continue till spring opens in March and the men can get out on the field once more. The team will have much advice and coaching it is expected, from W. B. Noble, '85, and Davis, '83, old players, the latter of whom is engaged in business in Cambridge; as well as from Mr. Lathrop of the gymnasium, who was one of the original members of the old Union Club of Boston, which in early days defeated the Ravenswoods of New York and other clubs.

All this work will be, indeed, necessary if Harvard hopes to win back the championship from Princeton, the present champion. Nearly all the old Princeton men will play again next spring so that Princeton is assured of a good team. Two of the men, the Hodge brothers, have gained much this fall by playing on the foot ball eleven. Yale will also have a good team, although fewer old players are left than at Princeton or Harvard. But Yale can easily fill up the gaps from the class teams which played considerably this fall and held an inter-class championship. Such a championship is not an unlikely thing for Harvard during the coming season. Eighty-five has a large number of players on the University team and these aided by some of the men in the class who have played formerly, ought to enable the seniors to put a good team in the field. Eighty-Six is more doubtful, but headed by its university players might try their luck. Eighty-Seven already has a well organized twelve of considerable merit with several men in reserve. Lastly, if '88 brings out a good number players, they have already a good nucleus to rally around in order to form a team. If the interest is only great enough, the Lacrosse Association will doubtless furnish a pennant for such a championship as the base ball association proposes to do in its branch or sport.