The Society for Political Education.

A circular description of the "Society of Political Education" has come into our hands. As the society is of a character to interest Harvard men, we clip the following extract from the circular. The society was established as long a go as 1880, but its existence is not generally known to the college.

"The society was organized by citizens who believe that the success of our government depends on the active political influence of educated intelligence, and that parties are means, not ends. It is entirely non-partisan in its organization, and is not to be used for any other purpose than the awakening of an intelligent interest in government methods and purposes, tending to restrain the abuse of parties and to promote party morality. Among its organizers are numbered Democrats. Republicans and Independents, who differ among themselves as to which party is best fitted to conduct the government.

Any person who will send fifty cents to one of the Secretaries, becomes an active member and is entitled to receive all the tracts issued by the society during any one year.

The society proposes to carry out its objects by submitting occasionally to its members lists of book which it regards as desirable reading on current political and economic questions; by supplying the books so selecting annual courses of reading for its members; by supplying the books so selected at the smallest possible advance beyond actual cost; by furnishing and circulating at a low price, and in cheap form, sound economic and political literature in maintenance and illustration of the principles above announced as constituting the basis of its organization: and by assisting in the formation of reading and corresponding circles and clubs for discussing social, political, and economic questions."

The society issues four tracts annually upon subjects selected by a general committee. Among those issued hitherto are "Paper Money Inflation in France, a History and its Application" by Andrew D. White: "What is a Bank?" by Edward Atkinson; "Present Political and Economic Issues." "The Standard Silver Dollar and the Coinage Law of 1878," by W. C. Ford.

The character of the books which the society recommends to its members, can be seen from the following list recommended for the year 1881:

Nordhoff (Charles). Politics for Young Americans.

Johnston (Alex.). History of American Politics.

Perry (A. L.). Introduction to Political Economy.

McAdam (Graham). An Alphabet in Finance.

The address of the society is-care W. C. Ford, Gen'l Sec' y., 4 Morton street, N. Y. city.