PHILLIPS ANDOVER ACADEMY AS A HARVARD SCHOOL.

The Phillipian comments thus: -"Perhaps nothing is more worthy of our attention as a school at present than the steady change of sentiment that has set in within the last few years in favor of Harvard as opposed to Yale. We have always been known as a Yale school; but a Harvard element had developed lately which threatens to overturn the ancient order of things and place us in the category of Harvard schools. A few years ago almost all our graduates went to Yale. As late as '80, only three or four went to Harvard, with probably twenty or twenty-five to Yale. Last year we believe the numbers were, Harvard 15, Yale 22. This year the preferences of the senior class are Harvard, 15; Yale, 12; all others, 11; and of the middle class, Harvard, 16; Yale, 8; all others, 11. This would seem to indicate that Phillips Andover is rapidly deserting Yale with its somewhat antiquatedor, at least, inflexible-curriculum, for the broader opportunities for study offered by Harvard. Whether or no the change is a permanent one the future will decide. The cause, though, is not so hard to determine. So far as we have been able to judge, the underlying motive which influences our students to choose Harvard is mainly the advantage offered by the elective system. We think, moreover, that this is recognized by our faculty; for within two years the courses of study here in the academy have been materially advanced and so arranged that in the senior year there is now quite a margin for optionals. Our faculty are not accustomed to do anything without mature deliberation, yet endeavor to be always abreast of the times; and to our mind these changes have been made largely in the interest of the Harvard element, or in pursuance of the Harvard spirit. They certainly are not in accordance with the traditional Yale policy."