A GIFT TO THE YALE OBSERVATORY.

Mr. William D. Ely, of Providence, R. I., has lately presented the Winchester Observatory with two magnetic instruments, to be used in calculating and recording the variations of the needle for the latitude of New Haven. The first of these instruments is a magnetic dip circle, used to measure the vertical dip of the needle and also used to measure the total force of the earth's magnetism against gravitation. The other, which is the larger and more valuable of the two instruments, is a fine magnetometer, made by Elliot Bros., London. This instrument measures either the horizontal force of the earth's magnetism or the direction in which it points on a horizontal plane. Some difficulty will be found in properly adjusting these instruments, on account of the peculiar magnetic situation of the observatory, midway between East and West Rocks, each of which exerts a magnetic influence upon the instruments, which must be calculated before the variations of the needle can be correctly observed and measured. Mr. Ely is a graduate of the class of '36, and was for several years after graduation tutor of Latin in the college. He takes this way of expressing his kind feelings toward his Alma Mater, and it is a way which may well be imitated by other graduates. [News.