THE MIDDLERURY TRADE SYSTEM.

Dr. Cyrus Hamlin, the author of several of the numerous tracts that have been distributed among the students by various New York "protection" associations has been delivering a lecture which is remarkable for its originality. Dr. Hamlin's idea is that each nation should endeavor to confine its trade as much as possible to its own limits. "That nation," says he, "is surpassing all others in the accumulation of wealth that has the largest volume of home commerce and industries." According to the Times newspaper of New York, Middlebury College, of which Dr. Hamlin is president, "will before very long be the richest college in this or any other country, provided, of course, the trustees, faculty and students, put into practice Dr. Hamlin's theories. Hitherto, when an American college needed money-and as a rule it always needed it-appeals were made to charity. The alumni of Middlebury College may, however, feel sure that their Alma Mater will never need assistance, except, perhaps, in spending the enormous wealth which it is destined to acquire."

"There are, let us say," continues the Times, "two hundred persons connected with Middlebury College as trustees, instructors, and pupils. They have been accustomed to buy their food, clothing and books, from persons unconnected with the college. They have used their capital and enjoyed their profits, but the persons on whom they have made their purchases have also used capital of their own and enjoyed their own profits. Had the Middlebury professors and students bought of one another, they would have secured two profits instead of one; for-to use the exact words of Dr. Hamlin-home trade and commerce is and must be just twice as profitable as foreign commerce. Let them adopt this plan hereafter and they will be on the sure road to wealth. When a student needs clothes, let him buy them of one of the professors, and when the latter need clothes let them buy of the students. The freshmen should buy all their books of members of the upper classes, and the seniors should buy cigars from the president and perfumed stationery from the youngest tutor. Both the students and the faculty should buy their food of the trustees, and the latter could buy whatever they needed, whether books, clothing, or food from the faculty. The more frequent these exchanges should be made the greater would be the annual profits of Middlebury trade and commerce. The trustees, faculty and students, should, therefore, devote at least four hours of every day to making "exchanges." In this way each one might, with industry, secure to himself 'twenty-four profits and twenty-four uses of capital' daily. At a moderate estimate, every Middlebury student ought to amass a fortune of at least $500,000 in the course of four years, while the professors and trustees, after making money enough to raise their own salaries to, say, $25,000 each, would be able to pay into the college treasury money enough to make Middlebury College far richer than Trinity Church. Clearly Dr. Hamlin is the man for the presidency of a struggling college, and in case any unauthorized person should hereafter ask for money in the name of Middlebury College, the public will know that such person is an impostor, and that the college is growing rich with miraculous rapidity."