THE UNIVERSITY BULLETIN.

The current number of the Bulletin (No. 26) is made up just as the previous numbers have been. Abstracts are giver from the records of the corporation and the board of overseers giving a number of items of interest to the university world.

At the meeting of the corporation May 10, we note the presentation of a letter announcing the foundation of a fund, which had already reached $50, 000, to increase the salary of the president of Harvard College. This find is given on condition that it be invested as a separate fund (to be called the President's Fund,) the income of which is to be paid every year as a part of his salary to the president of Harvard College, in addition to his present salary of $5,000 a year and the use of a house. The salary of the president is, however, never to exceed $10,000, in addition to the use of a house. Any excess will be expended in the salaries of assistants to the president or in the salaries of professors. The communication was signed by Henry Lee, N. Thayer, Wm. Endicott, Jr., Augustus Lowell, F. E. Parker, George Baty Blake, George O. Shattuck, Alex. Agassiz, Quincy A Shaw, Anna C. Lowell, F. Gordon Dexter, Fred L. Ames, Theodone Lyman, Edward W. Hooper.

The Corporation also approved of the suggestion of Dr. Wyman that a sufficient endowment be raised for fellowships in the Lawrence Scientific School. "If the school could offer an income of at least $500 a year to each of ten or more advanced students of engineering, chemistry, physics or natural history, the presence in the school of a number of students of recognized ability, pursuing advanced studies, would serve to attract other students of the same kind, and increase the repute of the degrees given by the school."

The corporation called attention to the fact "that the multiplication of professorships, the development of the elective system, and the increase of laboratories and collections within twelve years, have necessitated the reorganization and development of instruction by subjects or departments. Each department of instruction, as for example, the department of classical philology, history, philosophy, chemistry, physics or natural history, is a unit which has a structure and growth of its own. Each has several teachers whose various courses of instruction should be arranged in a just order, and each has collections and apparatus which should be brought together, used harmoniously, and increased systematically, by the co-operation of all the teachers of the department."

The accessions to the university library have been, as usual, very numerous. Among the first entries we note the reprints of the Aungerville Society of old papers of interest, extending through thirteen volumes. But one hundred and fifty copies of this work were printed. Several more publications of the Early English Text Society (Nos. 75-78) have also been added to the library. Under the head of theology we note "Die kirche Christi undihre zeugen, oder Die kirchengeschickte in biographieen" by F. Bohringer on twenty-four volumes, published at Stuttgart 1873-79. A number of volumes on the scientific exploration of Algiers in 1840-42, published in Paris, are placed under the head of Science. Under Fine Arts, we note a number of catalogues of coins, prints, drawings, marbles and photographs in the British Museum. Eight volumes of "Chronicls and Memorials of Great Britain and Ireland during the Middle Ages" are valuable contributions to the department of British history. The list of accessions to the library covers over thirty-nine pages of the bulletin. In the Harvard necrology is recorded the deaths of twenty-four Harvard men. The classified index to maps in Petermann's geographische Mittheilungen is continued as well as the bibliography of Ptolemy's Geography. Justin Winson contributes the beginning of a description of the Kohl collection of early maps, belonging to the state department at Washington.