UNIVERSITY CLUBS.

We owe no apology to our readers for reprinting below extended extracts from the speech on the above subject at the recent dinner of the New York Harvard Club by Brayton Ives. as representative of the University Club of New York City. Mr. Ives presents in an eloquent manner the claims of such clubs to a position of public usefulness. To college men his words can not fail to be of interest. He said:

"If there is one fact more striking than another in the remarkable history of the University Club, it is the fact that from the very first all distinctions between colleges have been ignored. To this I attribute in a large measure its wonderful success. The question has been: "Is he a good man?"-not, "What is his college?" I think that I can see the growth from year to year of a catholic spirit which naturally distinguishes the University from the College, and which eradicates gradually from its members the petty prejudices which too often vex the souls of undergraduates. Starting on a higher plane and with a more exacting standard than other clubs, its course thus far promises a future more splendid and useful than any other predecessors or contemporaries. I have heard complaints from within and without that its rules were too strict and exclusive. But I do not hesitate to say that I hope they will never be modified. And this, not be cause I am a snob, but because I appreciate more and more every day the practical value of a liberal education, and because the University Club stands before the community as a continual reminder that some other door must remain closed to those who have not acquired such an education. [Applause.] Said a rich man to me not long ago, as we were passing the Club House: "I would give half of my fortune if I were eligible for admission there," but, thank God! there's one thing in New York that money can't buy. And I have no doubt that the existence of such a club has caused many successful men to regret their lack of college advantages who otherwise would not have thought of it and who will guard against a similar loss to their sons. A millionaire may speak contemptuously of "them blanked literary fellows," but when he realizes that all his wealth cannot win an entrance into a rich and popular club without first securing a college diploma, he is likely to view the case differently."

"I confess to feeling strongly on this subject as a business man. We need, quite as much as professional men, the help and discipline which study alone can give. All buying and selling to get gain is debasing in its tendency, and especially so in this great city, where every year completion becomes keener and more pitiless. Only constant effort will enable a man to continue his reading and to keep his mind and tastes in such cultivation that he will find in such cultivation that he will find himself en rapport with men of letters. It is too often the case that nothing but a bank account distinguishes the capitalist from the socialist. Justus Schwab says, "Shoot the rich man;" and the rich man says, "The public be blanked!" Ignorance is the only common bond between them, and that fosters their mutual hate. The poor men and self-styled reformers who met at Irving Hall a short time ago had for their motto "Ni dieu ni maitre," and their speeches showed that it was appropriate. They serve neither God nor man and know no master. Only education can reach them. They seem to be at the bottom of society and the distance is great. Social influences will affect them first of all. Social organizations, having for standards educational advantages more or less complete, will supplement the work of schools and colleges. The University Club has set the example, and know one can tell how far the liven will work."

"Rightly understood and properly managed, club life has many fascinating elements and is sure to grow in popularity as we increase in numbers, wealth and intelligence. Old Dr. Johnson was not far out of the way when he said: "The chair of a full and pleasant town club is perhaps the throne of human felicity." And I know of no club where such a throne is more likely to be found than the University. It must always have especial attractions as the common meeting-ground of classmates and old college friends who will have much to talk of, besides "shop." There, the lawyer will gladly forget his clients, and the doctor his patients, and the man of business in discussing the "fizzles," "flunks" and "rusghes" of bygone days will cease to think of cotton, grain and stocks."

"I ought, perhaps, to confess that in some respects we are behind the age, and have not followed the example set by several of the leading clubs of this city. We have not amused the public by giving them an account of the squabbles between our steward and the chairman of the House committee, nor enlivened our elections by issuing forged tickets and anonymous attacks on members, now given rise to false reports of duels by the brutal use of woman's names. [Cheers.] But then we are young, and perhaps before we reach the stage when such things are possible with us they may not be so popular as they seem now to be."