THE YALE CREW.

A Heavy Lot of Candidates - Yale Confident - Their Training System - The Finances of the Boat Club.

It is a well known fact that if a person wishes to know anything about Yale's athletics, the Yale papers are the last place to go to for reliable information. If Yale has a good crew her papers take particular pains to make us believe that it is a very poor one. In fact, they are willing to do almost anything to put Harvard off her guard, and to inspire her with an overconfidence. Yale correspondents of the public press, however, usually express the true opinion of the students in regard to their athletic prospects with a great deal of accuracy. From a letter from Yale to the New York Tribune of Feb. 20, we learn that "the boating men of Yale are now content. . . . Yale's boating prospects were never brighter. Successive victories over Harvard at New London in the last two years have given an additional stimulus to aquatics at Yale, but neither this nor last year's brilliant prospects have brought over-weening confidence. Judging from the manner in which the crew works, one would think there were great odds to contend against."

"The crew," says the Tribune, "was on the water last fall soon after the opening of college, and took to the gymnasium work only when forced to by the bitter cold weather. At no time in Yale's boating career has she been able to put two eights on the water in the fall until last year. This is due to a greater number of boating men, or to an increase of interest in the sport." At present there are fifteen men in active training, as follows:

* N. T. Guernsey L. S. New Haven. 187

* C. B. Storrs. '82 New York City.

* H. T. Folsom. '83 Orange, N. J. 176

* L. K. Hull (cap.).'83 Lebanon, Ct. 196

* F. W. Rogers. '83 Cambridge, Mass. 180

- J. R. Parrott. '83 Oxford, Me. 188 1/2

H. E. Bourne. '83 Sharon, Ct. 168

C. S. Beck, Jr. '83 Wilkesbarre, Pa. 165

H. Vernon. '83 Brooklyn, N. Y. 168

W. H. Hyndman. '84 Newburgh, N. Y. 196

- E. A. Merrit. '84 Potsdam, N. Y. 196 1/2

C. W. Cutler. '85 New London, Ct. 170

H. R. Flanders. '85 West Tisbury, Mass. 170

C. B. Hobbes. '85 Brooklyn, N. Y. 177

E. A. Schultze, Jr.'85 Hoboken, N. J. 163

* On last year's crew.

- Substitute on last year's crew.

Of the above-named candidates, five pulled on last year's crew. Of these the Tribune says: "They have pulled long enough to be able to handle an oar in a scientific manner, and no one doubts that they do so. Their experience in previous races will stand them well in hand, and if they pull as lusty an oar as they did last year Yale need have little fear."

The following description of the training employed at Yale will be of interest:

"At 10 o'clock in the morning the men take the long run in the outskirts of the town. After the run, which is about two miles in length, they have been, through the winter, working in the gymnasium, but will now go to the boat house to row on the water. In the gymnasium their exercise was taken on rowing-machines, where they were coached by older oarsmen. Boxing and other light athletic exercise occupied another hour. The men finish their day's work at 7.30. Ex-Captain Rogers, of last year's crew, has been in New Haven two weeks and coached them. Fred. Wood, '76, S., who has so successfully done Yale's coaching for several years, will again fill that position. He will begin his duties the last part of the present term.