THE YALE NINE.

There are eighteen men in training at present for the nine, and from this number the nine will be selected. Five of last year's nine are in college, but there is ample material from which to pick four good men. Hubbard and Jones are in college, but will be barred out this year as they have played on professional teams. Booth, Hopkins, McKee and Souther, '84, and Terry, '85, are the old men who played last year. Booth and Souther will probably form the regular "battery." and they are ably seconded by Odell and Bremner, the "battery" of last years fresh man nine. Goodwin, '87, is also a candidate for catcher's position, and is said to play his position well. Childs, last year's model first baseman, has been graduated, and Stewart, '86, is trying for that position. Terry, '85, will again cover second base, which position he so ably filled last year. Hopkins, '84, will play third base. The position of short stop is still open, as Griggs was graduated with '83; for this position there are several candidates, Oliver, '87, and Bayne, '87, being the most promising. Carpenter has left college, which leaves left field open. Brigham, '86, and Sheppard, '87, are candidates for this position. McKee, '84, will play this old position in right field. Young, '87, a very promising man, is a candidate for third base. Centre field will probably be filled by one of the change "battery," and from present prospects the nine promises to be a strong one. The candidates are coached by Camp, and his long experience will be of great service to them. Cames have been arranged with the Metropolitans, Boston, Providence and Athletics, and the nine will take to the field as soon as the weather permits.