THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA.

HER CHALLENGE TO HARVARD.

EDITORS HERALD-CRIMSON.-Harvard, Yale and Columbia, are the only three colleges in the United States that have supported eight-oared crews; and for several years the annual race between the two first named institution has been looked forward to with a greater degree of interest than any other event in the college aquatic circles of this country. In fact it is looked upon as a connecting link between athletics, past and present, and with it are associated memories dearer than any other to the undergraduate heart. Any attempt to destroy or encroach upon this custom or to destroy its sacredness would be very likely to be treated in a very conservative manner. Thus it was when Columbia desired to enter the charmed circle, and thus the University of Pennsylvania finds it today. A challenge from the former institution has never been replied to by Yale, otherwise than by silence. Harvard, however, has gratified the earnest desire of Columbia for a race. But this done, Harvard feels that her conscience is satisfied and that there is no occasion for her to deviate further from the straight and narrow path marked out by the traditions of the past and the desires of the present. But with that courteousness and friendly spirit that has always characterized Harvard's dealings with her sister colleges, she at once replied to the University of Pennsylvania's somewhat bombastic challenge, that she would row the descendants of the Penns. family a race on the Charles River with an eight picked from her class crews. The University of Pennsylvania did not, however, view the matter in the same light as Harvard; the idea of her challenging to the world attracting no more attention than an offer to race from the second eight of a sister institution was rather more than her haughty spirit could stagger under. She looked upon it rather in the light of an insult than as a friendly attempt at accommodation. Consequently her reply to Harvard partook of the nature of a childish protest. The great brains of Pennsylvania's boating men were quite unable to divine what possible reason there could be for Harvard's not putting her best crew on the Charles river to face her, especially as the expense would amount to nothing and the men would be already in training. For some time the condition of athletics at Harvard has been very perplexing, so much so as to justify the management of the Boat Club in declining to enter upon further negotiations until the matter was settled. The University of Pennsylvania is now to learn that the prime reason why Harvard cannot row the race proposed in May, is because her men do not get in training soon enough to do themselves justice in a race at so early a date. Another and even more strenuous reason is, that human endurance cannot stand the terrific strain of three races so close together as it would necessitate. Any oarsman will perceive at once the justice of Harvard's decision. No set of men can be trained so fine as a four-mile race requires, and be kept so for a month, in addition to more or less brain work, such as the Harvard crew is obliged to indulge in during the month of June. As far as a four-mile race on the Charles river is concerned, it is simply absurd, as the course is not long enough, and even a three-mile race would necessitate a turn. Moreover, although the University crew is composed of the best oarsmen in college, and is of course the representative eight, yet its course of training is far different from the one that would be adopted for a short race. For this reason the class crews are often able to keep up with the University for a short distance, as they are especially trained for short, quick spurts. It will therefore be readily apparent, that a crew can be selected from the class eights which will on the one and seven-eights course of the Charles, be even better prepared to win laurels for Harvard than the regular University crew.

W. B.