THE DEATH OF PROF. EZRA ABBOTT.

Dr. Ezra Abbott, the Bussey professor of New Testament criticism and interpretation, died at his home in Cambridge on Friday evening. Dr. Abbott was born in Maine in 1819, and fitted for college at Phillips Exeter Academy. graduating at Bowdoin College in 1840 he spent five years in teaching in Maine, and then removed to Cambridge where he has since resided. In 1856 he was appointed assistant librarian to Harvard College, and in 1872 he was appointed to the professorship in the Divinity School which he held to his death. He received the honorary degree of A. M. from Harvard in 1861 the degree of LL. D. From Yale in 1869, and from Bowdoin in 1878 and the degree of D. D. from Harvard in 1872.

Dr. Abbott was a man of great leaning, being unexcelled in this country in Biblical criticism and scholarship. He was extremely devoted to his work and was always ready to lend a helping hand to any scholar without exacting hand to any scholar without exacting any return. The most striking feature of his career is the great labor he has bestowed on the works of other men. As this in most cases received but slight acknowledgment, It is impossible to give a complete list of his works, which are very numerous. He was one of the American committee appointed to assist in the revision of the New Testament.