OLD OXFORD CUSTOMS.

The Fellows drank out of silver 'potts," each man having his own. In 1622 "Mr. Cruso's pott" was mended at a cost of 2s., and several entries of old cups changed for new ones (the Fellow who had the use of it contributing out of his private means as to get a larger or finer goblet) show how it is that old silverware is so hard to find nowadays. But they did not always drink out of the nobler metal, "a little jug and pott for the fellows in ye halle and parlour" being bought for 17d. in 1644. The undergraduates drank and ate out of pewter, an arrangement which saved breakage, and had the additional advantage that when the mugs and platters got bent out of all shape, the pewterer took them back as old metal, and a new stock of "dishes, swages, and porringers" was laid in, the cost being 9 1-2d. a pound. The duty of looking after the pewter, and collecting and counting it after each meal, fell on "young Ablinson," the cook's son, who got a trifle every quarter for his pains. He could not expect much, seeing that his father only got 10s. a half-year for his salary, and the "subcoquo" a miserable 3s. 4d. [Gentleman's Magazine.