THIRD WINTER MEETING OF THE H. A. A.

The third meeting on Saturday was atteaded by the usual crowd of spectators. A new arrangement placed all the ladies at the east end of the building and it seemed as if there were more of the fair sex present then ever before. The new plan of seating seemed to be better than that hither to practised. The officers of the meeting were: referee, Dr. D. A. Sargent; judges, Prof. Byerly and Mr. I. Tucker Burr, '79: officer in charge, W. H. Goodwin, Jr., '84. Mr. Coolidge, the president of the association presided. Towards the close of the meeting one of the pleasantest incidents occured. Capt. Perkins got up and proposed nine cheers for Mr. Coolidge and they were given with a will which showed how much the college at large has appreciated that gentlemen's faithful work for the association. During a lull in the exercises the general development prizes were awarded for the year 1883-84. They were presented throug the H. A. A. by anonymous donor. Made of beaten silver, two pitchers and a goblet, of the heaviest plate, they attracted general notice as they stood on the press table during the afternoon. There were 73 contestants and J. C. Adams '87 won the first, having made an improvement of 261 3-10: J. W. Dudley, '87, second, 244 5-10; R. Briggs, '87, third, 222 2-10.

HORIZONTAL BAR.The meeting was opened by the horizontal bar contest. The entries were A. T. Dudley, '87 (white), R. T. Osgood, '87 (red), T. C. Bachelder L. S. (blue). The event was well contested, each contestant being repeatedly applauded. Bachelder showed extraordinary strength, trying a feat, turn and catch, never before seen in the gymnasium. The quickness of Dudley was particularily noticeable. Dudley gave the giant swing in a very easy manner and was saluted with tumultuous applause. The prize was awarded to dudley. Dudley was particularily easy in his manner on the bar and showed very chean and careful work. Osgood showed careful preparation in some of the minor parts of his exhibition but failed in the more difficult feats. While the horizontal bar was being taken away tht stalwart forms of the 'varsity crew appeared on the floor amid continued applause. The machines were all ready and the crew took their seats at once. They rowed in the order published on Saturday, except that Sawyer and Borland had changed places. Starting at a regular stroke, before they had finished Captain Perkins had increased the number per minute considerably. The andience seemed to appreciate the fine form of the veterans but it was not until they were going out that nine cheers were given for them.

RUNNING HIGH KICK.B. C. Henry, '86 (blue), F. B. Fogg, '85 (red,) M. M. Kimball, '86 (white), S. H. Fessenden, '86 (black).

Many styles of kicking were exhibited, that of Fessenden and Henry being noticeably easy. One or two of the contestants seemed to rely more upon their ability to hitch than kick when once off the floor. The event was very closely contested, and none were dropped until a very good htight had been reached. The first to drop out was Kimball, followed by Henry and Fessenden in the order named. Fogg was repeatedly applauded for his plucky efforts. Although the kicking was hardly according to any particular style, the determination of the men made up for any real lack of power, and the kicking between Fogg and Fessenden was very even. Fogg and Fessenden was very even. Fogg. finally by a great effort, succedded in toughing the disc at the height of 8 feet 8 1-2 inches, winning the event. This breaks the Harvard record made by Soren, '83, of 8 feet 8 1-4 inches. This event does not count in the amateur record as the custom at Harvard has been to jump off the mat. Fessenden failed at 8 feet 8 1-2 inches; Kimball at 8 feet 5 1-2 inches.

POLE VAULT.For this there were only three men to contest. They were H. F. Mandell. '84 (red), C. M. Field, '84 (blue), and P. R. Frothingham, '86 (white). Mandell and Field are well-known vaulters, but Frothingham is new in the art. The bar was started at five feet six inches, which seemed unnecessarily low. The vaulting was not up to what it was been in some years, but the man who excelled in that sport graduated with '83. Frothingham was the first to fail, at 8 feet 7 1-2 inches. At 9 feet both the other contestants failed. The result is a tie between Mandell and Field.

DUUBLE TRAPEZE.T. C. Bachelder, L. S. (blue), and C. B. Dacis, '84 (red), then gave an exhibition on the trapze. Great interest was manifested by the audience, and every act was greeted with applause. Although several of the higher turns and catches were unsuccessful, the event on the whole was very creditable. Bachelder's great strength and quickness served him in good stead, saving Davis from several falls. Davis showed great strength for one of his build. The high double swing was, after several failures, successfully performed. Several new features were presented and added an interest to the event which otherwise would have been marred by the uncertainty of some of the more difficult feats. Prolonged applause followed the exit of the performers.

RUNNING HIGH JUMP.The jump was next in order. Atkinson, the inter-collegiate champion, and F. B. Fogg, '85, D. C. Clark, '86, T. C. Bachelder, L. S., and H. L. Clark, '87, were the entries. The bar at the start measured four feet above the floor. Bachelder did not appear. H. L. Clark jumped with the most grace. Up went the bar till it reached 2 feet 2 1-2 inches, when, after three trials, Fogg was unable to clear the bar. At the next raise of the rod to 5 feet 4 inches, D. C. Clark failed. H. L. Clark made a record of 5 feet 6 and failed at 5 feet 7 1-4 inches. Atkinson won with 5 feet 7 1-4 to his credit.

ROPE CLIMBING.Foster, '85, E. E. Allen, '84, and Pudor, '86, entered to see who could reach the ceiling of the gymnasium. This year, Jim, the gymnasium boy, was perched on a ladder to see which should be the first man up. Allen and Foster went up first. The usual safety ropes were dispensed with. Allen reached the top in 22 seconds. Pudor, who went up alone, made it in 22 3-4 seconds. Foster did not reach the top at all. Allen's record was better than that made by Marquand last year. so that it stands as the Harvard record. Much merriment was displayed, when at the end "Jim" came sliding down and caught in a safety rope.

FLYING RINGS.The contestants were T. C. Bachelder, L. S. (Blue). J. B. Walker, (red). Bachelder first took the rings and appeared lighter upon them than Walker. Walker tried several difficult feats and in the swing and turn appeared to great advantage. On the rings at rest Walker's more difficult attempts were well done although his movements were not smooth and graceful but evidenced great effort. Walker showed great originality in his work. Bachelder appeared sonewhat fatigued, but presented a very graceful appearance. Some of Walker's snake-like motions were very telling and although the event was prolonged and sonewhat monotonous promised to last much longer had not a gentle hint been given by withdrawing some of the mats. Bachelder won.

TUG OF WAR.'85 and '87 were all alive when the ring contest was over at the prospect of a hard struggle for the tug-of-war championship. The delay before the teams appeared was not as great as usual. At Mr. Coolidge's request the andience remained seated and quiet. '87 won the toss and Cochrane the anchor took the north end of the hall. The men were soon in place, Simes, Gorham, Boyden, and Gilman (anchor) on the junior cleats and Olglesby, Litchfield, Remington and Cochrane (anchor), freshmen. With but little dalay Dr. Sargent gave the word when the tape was above the line not pressing it to the floor. As they dropped it was evident that '85 had been successful and a heave at once put the freshmen in jeopardy as their anchor came up off the floor a little. '85 gained some eight inches and then '87 went to work with a will to get it back, heace after heave came from the plucky freshmen and once Gilman was caught up a little. Back and forth went the tape but always on '85's side of the line These small alternate gains and losses lasted for about three or four minutes and then the '85 men seemed to act on the defensive as they had several inches to spare. Not so the freshmen. "Heave heave," came from Cochrane's throat every few seconds during the last minute and this constant tugging gained several inches. '85 lay quiet on the rope until the five minutes limit was reached, when they were declared win-

[Continued on fourth page.]

[Continued from first page.]

ners by two inches. Then the pent-up enthusiasm of the whole junior class broke forth into indiscriminate cheering and the team was borne away on the shoulders of their classmates. Gilman, on the shoulders of four men, was carried around the "yard" followed by a crowd of '85 enthusiasts cheering until they were hoarse when they took him to his room in Matthews. While the juniors were thus disporting themselves to their own satisfaction the large crowd quietly filed out of the gymnasium and the third winter meeting of 1884 was over.

THE CHALLENGE CUP.While the audience was taking a short rest between two of the events, Mr. Coolidge stepped forward holding in his hand the large solid silver Challenge Cup of the Inter-collegiate Athletic Association, He said that it was won last year for the fourth time in succession by Harvard's representatives at New York. Those who won the prizes at the '84 meeting last May, were: W. H. Goodwin, '84, 1-4 mile run, 51 4-5 sec.; W. H. Goodwin, '84, 1-2 mile run, 2 min. 2 sec.; G. B. Morrison, '83, 1 mile run, 4 min. 38 3 5 sec.; C. H. Atkinson, '85, running high jump, 5 feet 8 1-2 inches; W. Soren, '83, running broad jump, 20 feet, 6 inches; C. H. Kip, '83, throwing the hammer, 88 feet, 11 inches; C. H. Kip, '83, putting the shot, 35 feet, 8 inches. The cup has been won, once by Princeton, three times by Columnia and four times by Harvard. There still remain six shields to be filled so that the cup will be good for some years to come.

THE CLASS PENNANT.By winning nine first prizes the class of '85 has captured the pennant offered by the H. A. A., to the class making the best record during the first three meetings. The juniors well deserve their record as they have taken more prizes than any other two classes put together. The score stands: '85, first 9 prizes; '86, second 4 first and one second prize; '84, third 4 first; '87 fourth, while the Law School brings up the rear.