BASE BALL.

AMHERST 9, HARVARD 8.Notwithstanding the rain, a fair sized audience assembled yesterday afternoon to see our nine defeated by Amherst. The day was as bad as it could be, cold and windy, with a drizzling rain. Amherst came to the bat first, and by errors of Phillips and Crocker, a wild pitch and two terrific hits by Sullivan and Stewart, succeeded in making four runs, three of them earned. For Harvard, after Coolidge fouled out, Baker took his base on Gardener's muff of Taylor's throw, stole second, and came home on a passed ball. Phillips, who had taken his base on balls, reached third on this passed ball, and came in on Kimball's muff of LeMoyne's fly. Tilden flied out to Kimball. Allen hit a hot grounder to Marble, who failed to stop it, giving him his base, and LeMoyne, who had reached second on Sullivan's wild throw, scored the third run. Allen stole second and Smith took his base on balls, but Winslow struck out, leaving them on base. Score, Amherst 4, Harvard 3.

In the second inning, Amherst went out in order. Crocker made a base hit but was forced out at second by Coolidge. Coolidge took second on a passed ball. Baker hit a hot liner to Taylor who, after catching it, threw to Buffum, who muffed the ball, giving Coolidge third base. Phillips then made a magnificent home run, making the score 5 to 4. LeMoyne struck out.

In the third, by hits of Sullivan and Stewart, a wild pitch and a passed ball, Amherst made two runs and two more in the fourth on errors by Smith Tilden and Crocker, and Taylor's hit.

In the fourth inning, Coolidge broke his finger, and Baker took his place, Keep going to shortstop. Harvard was blanked in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings, although in the fourth Keep and Baker made hits. Amherst made one more run in the sixth on a base hit, Tilden's error and a passed ball.

In the seventh inning, after Amherst was blanked, LeMoyne made a splendid home run, making the score 9 to 6.

Amherst went out in order in the eighth. For Harvard, after Smith had flied out to Taylor, Winslow made a base hit, Crocker flied out to Taylor. and Keep made a pretty three-base hit bringing in Winslow. Baker hit a high fly to Kimball, who muffed the ball but caught it again in the most extraordinary manner before it hit the ground. Score, Amherst 9, Harvard 7.

In the ninth, Amherst failed to score. For Harvard, after Phillips struck out, LeMoyne took his base on Taylor's wild throw, and stole second. Tilden struck out ; Allen made a base hit, bringing in LeMoyne.

Smith took his base on balls, Allen going to second. Winslow hit a fly to Kimball, who, of course, caught, leaving the score 9 to 8.

Amherst played a loose fielding game with the exception of Taylor and Kimball, the latter of whom played a most brilliant game, putting out nine men in left field. their batting was not very heavy, but they succeeded in bunching their hits to great advantage. Sullivan and Stuart led the record. Harvard's fielding was not as good as one might have hoped to see, but Baker played a fine game and Allen and Winslow did well. their batting was very heavy and would have been much more effective, had it not been for the magnificent fielding of Kimball. Phillips and LeMoyne each made home runs, the former making the longest hit which has been seen on the grounds for years. The umpiring was unsatisfactory, his calling of balls and strikes being particularly loose.

AMHERST.A.B. R. B. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Taylor, s.s. 5 2 2 2 5 5 1

Sullivan, c. 5 2 2 4 6 0 1

Stuart, c. f. 5 2 2 5 2 1 0

Kimball, l. f. 5 1 0 0 9 0 1

Marble, 3b. 4 0 1 1 0 1 1

Buffum, 2b. 4 1 1 1 1 2 1

Wheeler, r. f. 4 0 0 0 0 0 0

Gardner, 1b. 4 1 0 0 3 0 3

Harris, p. 4 0 0 0 1 7 3

Totals. 40 9 8 13 27 16 11

HARVARD.A.B. R. B. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Coolidge, 2b. 2 1 0 0 1 1 1

Baker, s. s. 5 1 1 1 3 5 0

Phillips, 3b. 4 2 1 4 1 2 2

LeMoyne, l. f. 5 3 1 4 0 0 0

Tilden, c. f. 5 0 0 0 0 0 2

Allen, r. f. 5 0 1 1 2 0 0

Smith, 1b. 3 0 1 1 11 0 2

Winslow, p. 5 1 1 1 0 7 0

Crocker, c. 4 0 1 1 8 1 3

Keep, 2b. 3 0 2 4 1 1 1

Totals. 41 8 9 17 27 17 11

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Amherst, 4 0 2 2 0 1 0 0 0-9

Harvard, 3 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 1-8

Earned runs-Harvard 4, Amherst 3. Base on balls-Harvard 3. Struck out-Harvard 6, Amherst 4. 3-base hits-Sullivan, Keep. Home runs-Stuart, Phillips, LeMoyne. Passed balls-Crocker 2, Sullivan 2. Wild pitches-Winslow 2. Left on bases-Harvard 8, Amherst 4. Umpire, Mr. Otis Tilden.