THE NEW TENNIS GROUNDS.

Few students realize that during the past year the authorities have leveled a large piece of land in the rear of Divinity Hall. Up to last fall this tract was full of hollows and ploughed patches devoted to garden purposes. When it was found that the college grounds would be cramped by the building of the new Jefferson Laboratory, the hollows were filled up and a large hummock leveled, then this new field was planted with grass-seed. The whole is an acre or so in extent and has only a gentle slope toward the southeast. Mr. Eveleth, superintendent of the grounds, said that in June, after the grass had been cut once, the turf would be in a condition for use. This seemed hardly probable to one looking at the softness of the grounds at present. However, next fall, or year from this spring at farthest, ought to see this new tract in a sound condition for tennis for which it is intended that it shall be used at present. The number of courts which can be laid out will be from a dozen to twenty and these, as they are of good quality, will make up in a lartge measure for the losses on Holmes and Jarvis.