COLUMBIA'S FRESHMAN CREW.

Advices from Columbia say that the interest in the freshman crew is increasing. The number of men in training is twenty-one. The average age of the candidates is 17 1-2. As several of the men are very light, the average weight is only 150 lbs. The average of the twelve heaviest men is 159 5-6. The Spectator says of them :

The outlook for '87 is excellent, and the probabilities are that this year's freshman crew will be the best that Columbia has seen for some time. The men who are training are exceedingly well developed and a very promising looking set of young oarsmen, and without a doubt some of them will eventually fill positions in the university eight. The men are training very systematically. After running a mile or two they work half an hour on the weights and row ten minutes on the machines. This has been going on for some time, and the good effects of hard work are beginning to show themselves. Of course, freshmen can learn little of rowing on the machines, but what they have accomplished gives promise that they will very quickly turn into good oarsmen when once they row on the river-this they expect to do in about two weeks.