OPPOSITION TO WOMEN AT OXFORD.

Many people oppose the opening of the honor examinations at Oxford university. They base their opposition on the following points: On the injury that would be done to the university as a place of education, particularly as tending to do away with the requirement of residence as a condition for the degree; as necessitating a change in the methods and subject of the examination to suit a new class of female students; on the conviction that a "higher education" of women, secured under conditions similar to that of men, would "endanger their health and make them unfit for the duties of family life;" on the danger to which "future mothers and teachers of our race would be exposed by an unrestricted course of reading and study, and an intimate acquaintance as well with the heathen literature of the ancient world as with modernphysiological research;" and lastly, on the ground that the women who would avail themselves of such changes as proposed would be for the most part those training for teachers, who could not afford the expense of a university career, and whose numbers would be too small to justify any change that would bring such injury to the present system at Oxford.