THE CHALLENGE CUP CONTEST.

HARVARD WINS THE INTER-COLLEGIATE GAMES FOR THE FIFTH SUCCESSIVE YEAR.

The Manhatten Athletic Grounds in New York were, on Saturday, alive with a large crowd of contestants and spectators, all interested in the ninth annual games of the I. G. A. A. Delegations of student spectators were present from several colleges, noticeably Columbia, Yale, Princeton and Leigh, while a small knot of Harvard man cheered on the contestants from Cambridge. The day in New York, as well as here, was warm, and although too much for some of the contestants took any chilliness out of the air and warmed up the men to their work as the records show.

HUNDRED YARDS DASH.The meeting was opened with the trial heats of the hundred yards dash. W. H. Philip, '84, of Union, won the first, 10 2-5s.; Brooks of Yale, the second, 10 2-5s., and W. Baker the third, 10 2-5s. Billings, '85, the only other Harvard man entered, came in second in the third heat, and so ran in the finals. In the final heat the word to "set" was so quickly followed by the pistol shot that Baker was taken unprepared, and so failed to catch Brooks who won in 10 1-5s. Baker came in a close second. This was quickly followed by the trial heats of the

TWO-MILE BICYCLE RACE.There were three heats. Norton refused to ride, being afraid of the sharp corners, and Matthewson was distanced and dropped out before his heat was completed, so the chances of Harvard winning this event were early dissipated. Hamilton of Yale, won the first, with Reed of Columbia, second. Howard of Cornell, took the second heat, and the third was won by a man from one of the smaller colleges. The final heat, which was ridden later on, was taken by Hamilton, in 6m. 48 1-2s. Reed, second. Meanwhile the

TUG-OF-WARtrial pulls were taking place. Seven teams were entered; Cornell. Columbia, Lafayette, Lehigh, Harvard, University of Pennsylvania and Yale. In the first round Harvard was pitted against Cornell, who got the drop by two inches, because Easton had too short a rope. Harvard easily pulled it away, and when time was called the ribbon was 18 inches on Harvard's side of the scratch. The second round brought the Harvard team face to face with Yale who, having drawn a bye before, were perfectly fresh. Harvard won the drop by one inch and then heaved and obtained eight inches in all. They then waited for Yale to heave, but the blues failed to make any movement throughout the five minutes to the surprise of all, and so Harvard won by eight inches. The final tug was between Lehigh and Harvard. Those on the grounds thought that Lehigh had shown up better in the preliminary trials, but when the last five minutes pull was over, Harvard had pulled a foot and a half of their adversaries' rope over to their side, and had won the event.

THE ONE-MILE RUN

was next in order. Harvard did not show up well among the eleven entries. Walker tailed in toward the end and Root only showed himself in the middle of the crowd at the finish. Faries of the University of Pennsylvania, won with a record of 4m. 45 1-5s., and H. L. Mitchell of Yale, was second. To contest the

RUNNING BROAD JUMPthere were eight men. Bodelsen of Columbia, was the winner by a jump of 21 feet 3 1-2in., which betters the record by half an inch. A. G. Fell of Princeton, was second, 20ft. 11 1-2in, Fogg, '85, made a jump of 19ft. 4 3-4in. but overstepped his other trials, and so did not gain a place. Henry only jumped 19ft. 1in.

The next running event was the

440-YARDS DASH.Harvard was represented by Goodwin and White. The race was handily won by Goodwin, who finished in 52 3-5s., with Smith of Columbia, second. White came in a close third, making a good showing, two out of the three leaders being Harvard men. Next in order was the

120-YARDS HURDLE RACE.This was run in heats. Mulford of Columbia, won the first, with Ludington of Yale, second. The second heat was taken easily by Bradley, '86, with Harriman of Princeton, second, and Agassiz, '84, third. The final heat was won by Mulford, who was pressed considerably by Bradley, the second man. The time made, 17 1-2s., betters the college record made by Jenkins of Columbia, two years ago.

After the trial heats of the hurdle race the men contested in

PUTTING THE SHOT.Harvard had no man at the scratch, as her men, although entered, were not considered likely to win a place. Reckhart of Columbia, won with a put of 36ft. 3 1-2 inches, and Briggs of Yale, was the second-best man.

THE MILE WALKwas next on the programme with a field of five entries. The heat seemed to effect the pace of the men, especially that of Bemis, who only finished a poor third. The time was not fast and Meredith of Yale, who won made the distance in 7m. 33 1-5s., with Norris of

[Continued on fourth page.]

[Continued from first page.]

Columbia, second, in 7m. 50s. There was little excitement over the race as Meredith had the other men at his mercy from the start. In the

POLE VAULTwhich followed only two out of the four came to the scratch, Hodge, of Princeton, and Mandell, '84. There was an obstruction which hindered Mandell, who places his pole nearer the bar than others, and instead of protesting strongly he kept on vaulting, and failed to get over nine feet. Hodge, who went over the bar at that height won the event.

RUNNING HIGH JUMP.This was the most remarkable contest of the day. The ground from which the men jumped was hard clay, so that they did not slip, and gave them a from footing to spring from. The average jumping, as well as the record made, was the best ever seen at any contest in America. Six men, W. B. Page of Penn., The man who recently made a record of 5 feet, 9 inches, Harriman of Princeton, Richards of Columbia and Atkinson, Clark and Fogg of Harvard, were entered and all contested. The bar was put up to 5ft., 5in. before any failed. Harriman then dropped out with a record of 5ft. 4in. Fogg cleared 5ft. 6in. and then failed. The next to drop out was Page, who cleared 5ft. 7in. The three leaders now had a close contest for first place, but Richards failed next, having cleared 5ft. 8in. Atkinson and Clark both having jumped 5ft. 8 3 4, both failed at 5ft. 9 3-4. In jumping off, Atkinson finally cleared 5ft. 9 3-4in., just grazing the bar. As Clark failed to go over, the event went to Atkinson, who thus betters the college record, his own, 5ft. 8 1-2in.

THEROWING THE HAMMERwas next in order. Only six men were entered and the result was not phenomenal. The first prize was taken by Coxe of Yale, who threw 83ft. 2in Allen, '84, took the second prize with a throw of 77ft. 1 4in. The

HALF-MILE RUNfollowed and proved a close and exciting race. The contestants numbered about a dozen, among them being Goodwin, Brandt and Root. The race for first place lay between smith of Columbia, and Goodwin. Smith pressed the latter until within about twenty yards of the finish, when Goodwin broke away and won by a considerable lead. Brandt came in after Smith a good third. The time made by the winner was 2m. 5 1-2s.

The last event, except the final pull of the tug-of-war, already described, was the final heat in the

220-YARDS DASH.On the outcome of this race the result as to the winner of this cup depended. It was a veritable contest between Harvard and Yale, and proved to be the most exciting as well as mentors occurrence of the afternoon. The trial heats had been won by Baker and Brooks respectively, and the spectators looked for a close race. They were not disappointed. Brooks led along the straight track for over 160 yards, and then Baker passed to the front and won in the remarkable fasty time of 22 2-5 seconds. This is not only better than the college record, but beats all American records and equals the best ever made in England. Had Brooks won, the cup would have gone to Yale, so the closeness of the whole contest can be easily appreciated.