THE UNIVERSITY OF MOSCOW.

In the heart of the ancient imperial city of the Tzars, stands the University of Moscow. It is to the munificence of the Empress Elizabeth that Russia owes this splendid institution, of which we know so little. It was founded by her in the year 1765, and although not the oldest of the nine universities which Russia possesses, is by far the most famous.

The first curator, or president, was a noble of high rank, and the university, being the especial pride and care of the Empress, prospered greatly. It received 130,000 roubles from the government annually, and at the beginning of this century possessed a large library, two fine museums of Natural History, and excellent philosophical apparatus. The number of students was not then large, only about two hundred.

The beginning of Moscow by its desperate inhabitants after its capture in 1812 by Napoleon, checked the progress of the university somewhat ; the museums and all the buildings fell a prey to that disastrous conflagration. Soon, however, the losses were made good, and the university regained its former prestige.

Education, like almost everything else in Russia, is under government control, and the Moscow University forms no exception to the rule. It is under the supervision of the Ministry of Education who appoint the president and confirm the instructors. The Russian government must be credited, in this case at least, with making a good and judicious use of its power. The report of the Ministry of Education for 1882 showed the number of instructors to be about 330, and of students in all the departments, law, medicine, etc., to be about 2,400. These figures of themselves exhibit the importance and prosperity of the university, especially when we consider that Harvard, in all departments, has but 1,500 students. The greater part of the students are from the middle classes, and many do not possess the means of pursuing a collegiate course. Here, again, the stern government displays unusual munificence and liberality. Scholarships, amounting to 100,000 roubels annually, are awarded to deserving students. Whenever a young member of the nobility does enter the university, it is generally for personal gratification only, and on account of a desire for knowledge ; it is not to get a degree. So we have in this university a large body of thinking young men, untrammeled by family ties of "blue blood," who must necessarily exercise a powerful influence upon the character of their country. The university is thoroughly equipped with physical and chemical apparatus, and possesses a museum of Natural History ; but its greatest treasure is a library containing 200,000 volumes, and a famous botanical garden filled with specimens of the rarest plants and trees, a paradise to the enthusiastic student of natural science.

K. T.