SCHOLARSHIPS AND FELLOWSHIPS AT CORNELL.

The trustees of Cornell University, at their last meeting, have set apart, from the sum given in 1872 by the Hon. Ezra Cornell, John McGraw, Esq., the Hon. Henry W. Sage, the Hon. Hiram Sibley and Andrew D. White, a sum amounting to $155,000 for the establishment of scholarships and fellowships to aid meritorious students, both male and female, in the prosecution of their studies at that university. At the same meeting they also set apart, from the fund contributed by the Hon. Henry W. Sage for the superior education of women, the sum of $50,000 for the establishment of similar scholarships and fellowships for women only.

Pursuant to this action, there will be thrown open to competition by all students, at the entrance examinations in September, 1884, six scholarships, of the value of two hundred dollars each; in September, 1885, six more scholarships, of the same value; in September 1866, six more; and in September 1887, six more-making the entire number of such scholarships twenty-four. And from the income of the second fund there will also be thrown open to competition by women at the entrance examinations in September, 1884, three scholarships of the value of two hundred dollars each; in september, 1885, three more scholarships; and in 1886 and 1887, the same number-making the entire number twelve. Each of these will be continued for four years, provided the student maintains throughout the first year of his course the same high standing with which he enters. Students of high ability from the State of New York would have the additional advantage of being able to secure State scholarships, as there is nothing in the Cornell statutes preventing a student from holding both a State and a University scholarship.

The fellowships are seven in number. They are awarded to graduates of this and other universities who have shown marked ability in some department of study. Each of these secures to the successful competitor four hundred dollars a year for one or (in cases of exceptional merit) for two years. Any young man of really high altainments and character securing one of the scholarships, and doing thoroughly well in it, may look forward with strong hope to securing one of these fellowships, which will enable him to prosecute post-graduate studies.