THE UNIVERSITY CREW.

Yesterday afternoon, despite the unpleasant weather, a large crowd of men, numbering between one and two hundred, strolled to the riverside and crowed the edge of the boat-house platform, all eager to see the University crew take their last pull of the year upon the Charles. At about half-past four, the two substitutes, Keith and Yocum, '85, came out, and placing their pair-oar lapstreak in the water pulled away with a swinging stroke toward the lower basin. Hardly were they out of sight when Captain Perkins gave the orders to bring out the new shell. The boat which the crew rowed in is the new one lately received from Waters of Troy, and is a beauty. The men were the same as were published a few days ago. They wear this year a striped cap with a particularly broad vizor to protect their eyes from the glare of the sun. As the crew shoved off from the float the men on the platform, led by Mr. Sexton, hte treasurer of the boat club last year, gave nine hearty cheers. The eight rowed back and forth the length of the straight stretch of the river in front of the house at about thirty-three strokes to the minute. Then pausing near the coal wharf they stripped off their ferseys and prepared for a final spurt past the crowd of spectators. This time the men in the boat, urged on by the loud cries of their coxswain, fairly made their shell jump through the water, and this exhibition of speed was greeted by nine cheers repeated several times. On they went, still spurting finely, and shooting through the fraw of the bridge below were lost to sight on their way down their river. This latter row was the beginng of a four-mile time pull down to the West Boston bridge. Durthe first minute of this row, the crew pulled in excellent form at the rate of 36 strokes a minute. The crew has made great improvement in the past two weeks, now rowing with greater precision and uniformity. Stroke, however, still has the habit of using his arms too much at the finish, and has not as firm a catch as the other men in the boat. He is, however, so well supported by number seven that the bad effects of these faults are reduced to a minimum. Number one has not yet fallen into perfect time with the rest. However, the coach of the crew, Col. Bancroft, assures us that the crew is rowing as fast as last year's crew did at the time of their departure for New London.

Two shells, the one used last year, weighing 214 lbs. and a new one, weighing 225 lb., will be taken to New London.

The weights of the men are:

Bow. W. W. Mumford, '84, 167.

2. W. G. Borland, '86, 172.

3. J. J. Storrow, '85, 156.

4. F. L. Sawyer, L. S. 172.

5. E. E. Hamlin, '86, 166.

6. S. I. Hudgens, '84, 188.

7. R. P. Perkins, '84, 182.

Stroke. W. P. Bryant, '84, 164.