THE CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY.

THE OUTLOOK FOR THE NEXT COLLEGE YEAR.

EDITORS HARVARD HERALD: We are all interested in the success of the Co-operative Society, so a word or two about what its present condition seems to be to one who has no official connection with it, may not be amiss. It will be remembered that the last annual report showed a net capital of about $300, which looks as if the society was not only on a sound financial footing but was even making money out of its business. But it is readily seen that this balance is not a cash balance but is made up largely of stock, fixtures, etc., and that the actual cash gains of the year were very small. I do not mean to imply that the society is not financially sound, but merely to suggest that the business has been run on a close margin and that the members have had the benefit of all the profits. But I fear students do not wholly appreciate the conveniences of the Co-operative. Many impositions on the part of other dealers have been corrected since the society was established, and in this way it is really a benefit to non-members as well as to members. But the convenience of getting books, tennis goods, etc., from Boston quickly, even if there is not a great saving, is worth considering. As a rule, there is a very considerable saving. The Co-operative deserves greater support than it is receiving. It is soundly established, without doubt, but, though there are now one hundred more members than at this time last year, the past month's business was but little larger than the corresponding month last year, I am informed. The management is careful and capable and the affiliated tradesmen are representative houses. New conveniences may be added and doubtless will be whenever it shall be possible. The directors show judgment and tact in the control of affairs and their success in securing rooms in the old Law School for next year is encouraging for the future of the society. Every thing considered, the Co-operative's prospects are brighter, but it deserves better support than it is receiving, and patriotism, if nothing else, should lead man to do all in their power to make it a permanent and powerful institute I need hardly mention the fact that it is not supporting the Co-operative's interests for members to make purchases there for their friends outside the society, neither is it honorable. The management show their fidelity to the society at large by preventing this practice as much as possible, and members ought not be so thoughtless as to attempt it.

S.