The Outlook for the Winter Meetings.

It is almost too early yet to predict with much certainty what students will be contestants in the meetings, yet the large number of old men who are to be seen exercising daily in the gymnasium, gives some promise of exciting contests in each event. In the Heavy, Middle and Light Weight wrestling there is always a small number of entries, and this year there is a very good chance for new men, as none of those who contested in those events before will probably enter. In the Feather Weight wrestling the men who contested last year, namely Hughes and A. Coolidge, '87, will probably enter, and also some new men.

In the Parallel Bars, Bachelder, L. S. will enter. In Putting the Shot Homans '85, Curtis, L. S,, Chamberlain and Clarke, '86, will contest. In the Two-hand Vault, Batchelder. L. S., and Atkinson, '85, will enter. In the Standing High Jump there will probably be a large number of entries, among them being Batchelder, L. S., Rogers, '87, Fessenden. '86. Chamberlain, '86, and J. D. Fiske, '86. All the old men have signified their intention of going in to the Horizontal Bar contest, namely Dudly and Osgood, 87, Batchelder, L. s., and Faulkner, '86. Among the contestants for the Running High Kick will be Fogg. '85, and Henry, '86. The only old man who will be here to enter the Pole Vault will be Frothingham, '86; but we hear that a very good man appeared in Dudley, '87. who is said to have done very well in practice. The running High Jump will probably be very closely contested for by Fogg, '85, Batchelder, L. S., Clark, '87, and Atknison Pindor, '86, will probably try to take away the cup from Batchelder, L. D., in the Flying Riings, which he has won for so many years.

The Sparring contests this year will be more hotly contested then they have been for many years past. Most of the men who were defeated last year are training to wipe out their former defeats, while a large number of new men have signified their intention of entering. In the Heavy Weight, Among new men will be Curtis, L. S., Allen, '86, and Morrison, M. S., who is training under Kilrain. These different teachers and ought to make this event decidedly lively. In the Middle Weight there will be Colony, '86, and Smith, '86, besides quite a number of new men who are training under Ferris in the gymnasium. In the Light Weight there will be Bradley, '86, and Faulkner, '87. and possibly Blodget, '87. who is still suffering from a sprained hand, which he received in the sports last year. In the Feather Weight there will be Kimball, '87, Gallaber, L. S. Mygatt, '86, and a new man who is said to be very clever with his fists, namely Piummer, '88.

The names given above are not all positively certain entries, but most of the men mentioned have already signified their intention of participating in the sports. There will be also a large number of new men who will enter from Mr. Lathrop's squads, which have been doing very good work so far. Mr. Dennishton is again to be seen in the gymnasium, and it is to be hoped that he will take his accustomed place among the contestants for the winter meetings.

X. Y. Z.