Prof. Henry Lawrence Eustis.

On Sunday, January 11th, Professor Henry Lawrence Eustis, dean of the Scientific School died at his residence on Kirkland street after a lingering illness.

Prof. Eustis was the son of an army officer, Gen. Eustis, who had graduated from Harvard in 1804. He was born at Fort Independence, Boston Harbor on Feb. 1, 1819, and was consequently not quite 66 years old at the time of his death. At the early age of 15 he entered Harvard and graduated with the class 1838. He at once entered the Military Academy at West Point from which he graduated four years later, the head scholar of his class. This rank entitled him to a position in the Engineer Corps of the army with which he served for seven years, part of the time as assistant professor at the academy. In 1849 he left the army to accept the position of professor of engineering in the then newly established Lawrence Scientific School. His work here was uninterrupted in its usefulness until the breaking out of the Civil war. Then remembering his military education, he once more joined the army, in spite of illness. He was made colonel of a Massachusetts regiment and a brigadier general in 1863. His health becoming worse he was compelled to resign in June, 1864, and it was then that he resumed his old place in the Scientific School. Here for the past twenty years his labors have been unceasing. His great knowledge did not, as with some, hinder him as a teacher, He was considered a shining light in the latter capacity, and among his pupils were men who have become celebrated His labors did not cease, even after his illness began to incapacitate him for work, for at the last, rather than give up his classes, he had them assemble at his own house. About a month ago his physicians noticing the hold which his illness had upon him, advised a Southern trip. This was attempted only to find the professor gradually sicking, and last week he was brought home to die. Professor Eustis was twice married, and has had five sons and one daughter.