Ohio's Multifarious Colleges.

Again the colleges (?) of Ohio come up for comparison with the collegiate institutions in other parts of the country, and, as usual, to their discomfiture. This time it is at the hands of a leading newspaper of Cincinnati, which makes these statements:

"It is a fact, perhaps not generally known, that Ohio has more so-called colleges than any other state in the Union. While Illinois and New York have 28 each, and Pennsylvania 26, no other state having more than 19, Ohio has 35. But it is only in the number of these institutions that the state can boast. Their aggregate income from productive funds is but $210,510, and from tuition fees but $125,382, while the value of all grounds and buildings is but $3,192,840, and the number of volumes in their libraries but 161,302. The number of students, however, in the preparatory collegiate departments compares favorably with the older states, New York only sure assign Ohio. How much better endowed the colleges of Massachusetts are than those of Ohio may be seen at a glance. With but seven colleges they have an income from productive funds of $291,812, and receipts from tuition of $166,538, and 303,126 volumes in the libraries; but the value of buildings and grounds is only $1,310,000. The colleges of New York and Pennsylvania are also much better endowed than those of Ohio, and are vastly richer in libraries and apparatus. Michigan, with only nine colleges, shows up better than Ohio in the provision made for their support, These figures, which might be tediously multiplied, give rise to the suspicion that many of our colleges are, in fact, little better than academies, and are colleges only in name, and this suspicion is rather confirmed by the disproportionate number of scholars in the preparatory departments in the regular college course."