THE LACROSSE GAME.

HARVARD VANQUISHED BY THE CANADIAN CHAMPIONS; SCORE, NINE GOALS TO ONE.

The five hundred spectators who were present at the lacrosse game on Holmes yesterday afternoon were treated to a splendid exhibition of playing by the Montreal team. The game abounded in brilliant plays, many of which were made by Harvard men who, despite their want of practice and training, played a steady game in the face of great odds. It should be remembered that the Montreals have been constantly in practice since early last May, while our men have not played together since the middle, of last June, until within a fortnight, and therefore no just comparison can be made between the two teams. The running, passing and dodging of the Montreals was superb, while Harvard played a very careful defence game. Williams as point, Nichols as cover-point, and Peabody on the defence, especially distinguished themselves, and Blake at goal played well, considering the short time he has played lacrosse. Hood made several excellent plays, while the running and passing of Dudley was much applauded. For Montreal, Cleghorn, Aird, Grant and J. Patterson carried off the honors.

At 4.08 the ball was faced by Hood and D. Patterson, and immediately forced towards Harvard's goal. It seemed several times as if the Montreals would score a goal, but good playing by Williams and Blake prevented this. Soon Dudley got the ball, made a long run down the field and passed beautifully to Hood who threw a goal for Harvard in 4 1-2 minutes after play had begun. This quite over joyed the Harvard men. Montreal secured the next goal in two minutes, the ball being swiped in by Grant. Again the play began. The Montreals passed finely, and several times were prevented from scoring by the excellent defence work of Harvard. The goal was captured in three minutes by Carlind after sharp dodging. Long throws by Williams and Nichols kept Harvard's goal free for some time, but finally Lowe secured the ball, passed to Gorman, and this player threw the third goal for Montreal in 7 1-2 minutes. The next goal was stubbornly contested. Dudley made another beautiful run and pass to Nichols who lost to Cleghorn. Montreal's attack now did some rattling work, and soon a swipe by one of the homes secured them their fourth goal. Score, Montreat 4; Harvard 1.

After a few minutes rest, play was resumed, and in one minute Montreal added one more to her score. Shortly after, the ball was faced again. Williams secured it, dodging finely, slipped and fell hut recovered himself in time to get the ball again and passed it to the attack. Soon Nichols got a free throw on account of a foul by Carlind. In seven minutes the goal was Montreal's. At this point Blake was injured and forced to leave the field, his place being filled by Abbott, '87. Monreal secured the next three goals, the last however, only after a quarter hour's hard work. Towards the end, a beautiful play was made by Noyes, who got the ball away from three of his opponents and threw to Dudley who made another long run down the field. Time was now up and the game ceased with the score nine to one in the Canadian champions' favor.

The following men played on the two twelves: -

MONTREAL. HARVARD.

Brown goal Blake, '87.

Cleghorn point Williams, L. S.

Aird cover-point Nichols, L. S.

Sheppard defence Goodale, L. S.

Fraser defence Bradford, '86.

J. Patterson defence Peabody, '87.

D. Patterson centre Hood, '86, (capt).

Lowe attack Dudley, '87.

Carlind attack Blodgett, '87.

Paton attack Noyes, '85.

Grant homes Woods, '85.

Gorman homes Twombley, L. S.