Cambridge Elevated Railroad.

Students will doubtless be glad to know that at last work has actually commenced on the much talked of Elevated Railroad, which is to connect Cambridge and Boston. A week ago last Saturday a beginning was made of work on the first trial half mile of the road, and even in this short space of time the work has progressed so rapidly that the trestle work in some places has been erected. An engine and cars are being built for the trial trip, and it looks as if those interested in the L meant business this time. According to the provisions of the bill under which the Meigs Railroad is incorporated, it is necessary to build half a mile, and then make thorough trials of the merits and safety of the road before the track can be continued to Harvard Square, so we shall have to wait a year or two without doubt before the much desired means of rapid transit can be ours. The point at which the trial half mile begins is in East Cambridge, near the Bay State Glass Works, in the vicinity of Fourth Street, and it continues from there on the border line between Somerville and Cambridge to the great pork packing establishment of John P. Squire's. The above facts were learned from one of the engineers directly in charge of the construction of the road, and may be considered reliable.