A Ghastly Calamity.

COLLEGE HOUSE IN RUINS.

Few of those who felt the shock of a heavy explosion yesterday morning, imagined what its cause was. Around College House, however, all was bustle and excitement. Men but half awake, and hastily dressed were standing at a respectful distance from three windows which had been blown into atoms by some unseen force, and were awaiting a repetition of the shock with a mixture of awe and curiosity. However, as no second explosion took place, they became bold enough to inquire more closely into the cause.

It appears that the occupant of room No. 37 had had his chandelier broken off the evening before, and had stopped up the broken pipe with a wooden plug. To his astonishment when he woke up at quarter of eight yesterday morning, his room was filled of gas, and to ascertain whether it was genuine gas or not, he struck a match, thereby having his doubts very quickly satisfied. The result of the experiment was an explosion so heavy as to be felt all over the yard. The windows of the room were, violently blown out over the sidewalk, the door was partly blown open, the ceiling was sprung, and the wall on the entry displaced about six inches, and about 20 feet of plastering so damaged as to have to be torn down immediately. All the plastering in the room was shaken loose, and the wood work, paper and ornaments were badly scorched. Everything was in great disorder in the room when the CRIMSON reporter entered it; masons were engaged in tearing down plaster and cleaning away the rubbish caused by the explosion, curious men stood in groups and surveyed the wreck with great interest.

The gentleman who caused all this excitement was fortunately not severely hurt by his carelessness; but it is safe to say that College House has not been so profoundly stirred, - in both senses of the word, - for many years.