Polo at Harvard.

Among the many pleasures and exercises with which Harvard men divert themselves, polo is one about which the students at large know but little. If anyone of an inquiring turn of mind should walk out on Brattle Street for about half an hour, he would come to the grounds of the Harvard Polo Club. There is nothing magnificent about them, no immense grand stand, but only a shed which gives shelter in rainy weather to the players and the ponies alike. The field is about twice the size of Jarvis, and is covered with a good turf. The situation is a very pleasant one, for one is able to see hills in the distance, and one's view is not confined to a small space of heaven directly above, as is the case in the vicinity of Harvard Square.

The Polo Club as well as our other athletic organizations, made last year a year of victory. In the contest at Newport in the summer, the president and captain of the club, Belmont, '86 and Bird, Winthrop, and French made up the team that won the championship of America. The thorough knowledge which Belmont and Bird showed of each other's play was a very noticeable feature of this contest, and their perfect co-operation was like a beautifully organized piece of subtle machinery. It was the same superiority which Princeton has shown in foot-ball by her systematic passing.

From four o'clock until dark Monday, Wednesday and Friday are the hours for regular practice. The skill shown by the riders is such that if the future A. B. will be of no avail in obtaining a livelihood, a place in the lists of the itinerant circus will always be open. There are generally three or four players on a side, but the way in which the ponies gallop about the field makes it seem as if there were many more. Last Friday the play, influenced perhaps by the pressure of a number of spectators, was exceptionally fine. Morris, '85, made a number of brilliant plays, twice outriding all his competitors and carrying the ball the whole length of the field, scored goal.

There are a number of freshmen who have taken up the sport and have been on the field but a few weeks. The old adage that misery loves company would perhaps be appropriate, and anyone who has never played polo need not hesitate to try, his powers from the fear that he will be alone as a beginner. A sport in itself so full of skill, physical training and excitement ought not to be a matter of so little concern to the students. Of all of the different athletic games, it surely is the one in which the least general interest is taken. The autumn is the height of the polo season, and if anyone should feel interest enough to go out to the grounds and see the game, he would become fascinated with the sport, and be eager to make an attempt at play.

The management of the club have fitted up handsome rooms on Brattle Street, near the square, and the sixteen members doubtless make the best use of these advantages.