THE CONFERENCE COMMITTEE.

THE PLAN OF THE COMMITTEE AS ADOPTED LAST SPRING.

Below is reprinted the plan of the Conference Committee as agreed on by students and faculty early last spring. The plan goes into operation immediately upon the election of the student members. According to the provisions of the scheme, this election must be held sometime during the present week.

I. The committee of conference shall have the powers of a committee of the faculty. By this, it is meant that, whenever the committee sees fit, it can, as the result of a conference, adopt, by a majority vote of the student members, a resolution which the faculty members shall report, - like the report of a committee, - as soon as possible to the faculty; and the faculty members shall, as soon as possible, report back to the student members the action of the faculty in regard to the report, and the grounds of this action.

II. In the order of business, subjects for discussion that are brought before the committee by the faculty members as a body shall have precedence over all other subjects.

III. The committee shall have power to summon witnesses especially familiar with, or interested in the subject of discussion for that conference.

IV. (a) The student members of the committee shall be elected by secret ballots at polls kept open not less than one day. The votes of each class shall be counted by the president and secretary of the class, assisted by a member or members of the faculty appointed by the chairman of the committee.

(b) Each senior shall deposit a paper, bearing over his signature, the names of five members of his class; each junior, in like manner, a paper with the names of four members of his class; each sophomore, in like manner, a paper with the names of three members of his class; each freshman, in like manner, a paper with the names of two members of his class.

(c.) The five members of the senior class who receive the greatest number of votes from their class, together with the four juniors, three sophomores, and two freshmen who receive the greatest number of votes from their respective classes, shall become members of the committee. They, together with the faculty members, shall at the first meeting of the year, elect two members at large from the college.

V. The student members shall be elected for one year, during the second week of the college year, - except the freshman members, who shall be elected during the second week after the Christmas recess.