Eighty-Six

WINS THE CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP.

'86, 5; '88, 4.

An assembly of over 200 enthusiastic students watched yesterday's game between the seniors and sophomores. Jarvis Field was so thoroughly soaked by the rain of the past three days that it bore more resemblance to a bog than to a foot-ball ground. Along the base lines of the old diamond ran turbulent little rivers, continually replenished by the driving rain. On each side of the field were clusters of umbrellas that seemed to have sprung into existence like a mushroom crop.

Promptly on time the two elevens lined up, the seniors having the western goal and the kick-off, and being materially aided by a half-gale of wind. Rushes by Churchill and Woodbury brought the ball to the sophomores' 10 yard line, and Austin twice tried for goals from the field, only to be baffled by the slippery leather of the ball. After some lively playing Austin made a daring rush over the slimy ground and was forced outside nearly upon the five yard line. The ball was brought out fifteen yards, and snapped back to Fiske, who sent it spinning over the centre of the bar by a beautiful drop kick, amid the cheers of the seniors. For a moment the eighty-six men almost forgot that it was cold and wet, but two smart rushes by Holden and Porter recalled them to their senses, and the dangerous way in which the sophomores forced the fight made the game extremely interesting. About this time a struggle for the ball took place, in which Bradley was hurt, and his place was taken by Hallowell. After some spirited rushing, time was again called to give Noble time to recover from a heavy fall. A rush by Holden sent the ball into dangerous proximity to the senior goal, but a powerful punt by Fiske, and some sharp rushing temporarily transferred the scene of action to the other end of the field. At this point in the game, Porter secured the ball, and traversed nearly the entire length of the field, passing every man on the senior team. Just as he seemed certain of his touchdown, however, he was tackled by Fiske, who had over-taken him, and both went down together. In the next few minutes Holden was hurt, but pluckily continued to play. Time was now called. Neither side dared remain long inactive in the chilling rain, and after an interval of two minutes, play was resumed. The ball for a time stayed near the centre of the field, owing largely to sharp playing by Burnett. A long punt by Adams, however, sent it over the senior goal line. The return kick by Kimball was caught by Bancroft, and from this point of the game things began to look unpleasant for eighty-six. Rushes by Holden and Porter drove the ball to the 15 yard line, and a touch-down was prevented only by the sharp tackling of Littauer. The determined work of the eighty-eight rushers resulted in getting the ball to within five yards of the goal, but desperate rushes by Dewey, Vogel and Harris averted for a time the threatened touch-down. In one of the scrimmages in this part of the game Holden was again hurt, and this time so seriously as to be obliged to give up his place. About ten minutes before time was up, Porter got the ball, and made a successful rush, dodging or upsetting all who came in his way, and touching the ball down about eight yards to the right of the posts. The ball was brought out, and Woodman attempted to kick a goal. The high wind, however, carried the ball about a foot outside the posts, - and eighty-eight had lost the game. No further points were scored by either side. As foot-ball, the game could hardly be called a success, but as an exhibition of pluck and endurance it was eminently satisfactory. Errors were countless, but in nearly every case they were excusable, if not unavoidable. Mr. Brooks, '87, officiated as referee, and performed the duties of the position in a manner highly acceptable to both teams and to the spectators. The elevens were substantially the same as in the former games of the series.