Dr. Royce's Lecture.

THE BEGINNINGS OF CALIFORNIA AND THE BEAR FLAG AFFAIR GRAPHICALLY SKETCHED.

The mere announcement that Dr. Royce is to lecture is sufficient to draw a large audience. Last night Sever 11 was crowded with an audience which was highly entertained by the lecturer's sketch of the beginnings of California. The amusing features of the early occupation of the state were touched upon very humorously. The lecture, which was read from manuscript, lasted about an hour and a quarter.

The influence of the native population upon the development of the natural character was the special topic. After touching upon the characteristics of the mixed population that settled California, the lecturer proceeded to give an account of the first forcible measures by which our government gained a foothold in the state. It is thought that Captain Fremont received secret instructions from Washington to incite the American settlers against the Mexicans. As a result of these underhanded negotiations there was an uprising of the settlers which became known as the Bean Flag affair. The leaders in the movement were Dr. Semple and William Ide, two original products of this rude civilization. A battle was fought in which but little blood was shed. Soon came the intelligence of the declaration of war with Mexico. Had not this precipitated matters, it is probable that the cause of the Mexicans would have been espoused by the English who had men-of-war on the Pacific Coast. Thus California was saved to the United States.