The American College at Athens.

The semi-annual meeting of the Executive Committee of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens was held in Prof. Ware's library at Cornell last week. In the fall of 1882 this school was founded by the Archaeological Institute of America, of which Professor Charles Eliot Norton is now President. The inability to provide permanent quarters for the College at Athens was the subject for discussion at this convention. The Greek Government has come forward with the offer of a convenient site for the proposed building, and has shown great interest in the project. Energetic efforts are being made in this country to raise funds for the building. It is estimated that the building will cost about $20,000, of which amount only $4,000 has been subscribed up to date. The house at present occupied by the school at Athens is not adequate for its purposes, although an exhorbitant rent is paid. Besides this expense of over $1,000, the several colleges are obliged to support the directors of the institution. The plan now is to raise a fund sufficiently large to support a permanent directorship at the school.