University Calendar.

DECEMBER 13. SUNDAY.

Appleton Chapel. Rev. Brooke Herford, 7.30 p. m. *** Rev. Alexander McKenzie, D. D., will conduct week-day morning prayers from Dec. 10 to Jan. 23.

14. MONDAY.English VI. Oral discussion, opened by Mr. Barton: The Fitz-John Porter Case. Sever 11, 3 p.m.

Modern Socialism, with special reference to Europe. The ethics of Socialism. Rev. John G. Brooks. Sever 11, 7.30 p.m.

15. TUESDAY.Health and Strength. Open to all members of the University. Dr. Edwin Farnham. Sever 11, 2 p.m.

College Faculty. Meeting at University 5, 3.30 p.m.

Ice Fields of Switzerland. Professor J. P. Cooke, Chemical Lecture Room, Boylston Hall, 7 p.m.

French Readings. Theodore de Banville, Gringoire, translation. Professor Bocher. Sever 11, 7.45 p. m.

16. WEDNESDAY.English VI. Oral discussion, opened by Mr. Chamberlain: Recent Discussions of Socialism. Sever 11, 3 p.m.

Latin Readings. Cicero, De Amicitia Prof. Greenough. Sever 11, 7.30 p.m.

Academic Council. Stated meeting at University 5, 8 p.m.

17. THURSDAY.Mathematical Seminar. University 19, 4 p.m.

Chamber Concert. Listemann Quartet (Bernhard Listemann, Daniel Kunst, Fritz Listemann, Fritz Giese) Sever 11, 7.45 p.m. Tickets at Sever's.

*** 1. Beethoven. Quartet in E minor, Op. 59, No. 2. - 2. J. Svendsen. Andante and Scherzo from quartet in A minor, Op. 1. - 3. Raff. Quartet in D minor, Op. 77.

18. FRIDAY.Harvard Union Debate. Sever 11, 7.30 p.m. *** Question: Resolved, "That Russian Nihilism is justifiable." (Books of reference reserved in Alcove 5 in the library.)

FORENSICS.The thesis of the senior forensic work will be due on Tuesday, March 9 '86. The thesis of the junior forensic work will be due on Tuesday, March 23, 1886. - Subjects for junior and senior theses are to be chosen in the same manner as was announced for the choice of the subjects for the first forensic.

JUNIOR THEMES.Junior theme III will be due on Tuesday, Dec. 22. Subject: A Narrative.

Theme II will be returned Tuesday, Dec. 15, from 2 to 4.30, in Sever 1 and 5.

SOPHOMORE THEMES.Sophomore theme V will be due on Thursday, Dec. 17. Subject: A Description.

Theme IV will be returned on Thursday, December 17, from 2 to 4.30 at Sever 5.

Writers of sophomore themes will in future designate their themes not by their names, but by the numbers which they find written on the first theme.

Special attention is called to the fact that, by the regulations, no overdue theme will be accepted, unless the writer satisfies the Dean that his failure to present it at the appointed time was due to serious illness or other unavoidable hindrance.

LECTURES ON HEALTH AND STRENGTH.Dr. Edwin Farnham, of Cambridge, will give a course of twenty lectures in Sever 11, open to all members of the University, on Health and Strength, on Tuesdays, at 2 p.m., before the recess, and on Wednesdays at 7.30 p.m., after the recess. The first lecture will be given on Tuesday, December 15th, at 2 p.m.

MODERN SOCIALISM.Rev. John G. Brooks will deliver a course of lectures on Modern Socialism (with special reference to Europe) on successive Monday evenings, in Sever 11. The subjects are as follows:

Dec. 14. The Ethics of Socialism.

Dec. 21. Science vs. Sympathy in the "Social Question."

FRENCH EVENING READINGS.A course of readings will be given in Sever 11 at 7.45 p.m. on Tuesdays by Professors Bocher and Cohn, as follows:

Tuesday, Dec. 15: Theodore de Banville, Gringoire (translation), Prof. Bocher.

Tuesday, Jan. 5, 1886: Aucassin et Nicollete (translation), Asst. Prof. Cohn.