Chamber Concert.

There was not a very large audience in Sever last night to greet the Listemann quartet at their first concert. Before the members of the quartet appeared, Prof. Paine announced that Mr. Giese was to take the place of Mr. Jonas, a statement which seemed not altogether unwelcome to the audience. The performance of the different numbers varied greatly in excellence. The Beethoven quartet suffered, apparently, from lack of practice. The conception was good, but there were a number of blemishes in the execution, especially in the second and last movements which were characterized by considerable indistinctness and untunefulness. The third movement received a treatment more in accordance with its noble character. The somewhat hackneyed variations on the "Russian Hymn" were exquisitely played, as was also Mendelssohn's canzonetta, an exceedingly bright and delicate composition. In the Schubert quartet was found the best work of the evening, taking all things into consideration. The first movement, particularly, was given with admirable fire and spirit. The second and last movements may be mentioned as remarkable for the depth of feeling displayed. At the conclusion an unusually hearty round of applause attested the enjoyment of the listeners.