Music at Princeton.

Princeton has in the last month been the lucky recipient of two donations, made for the purpose of encouraging music in the college and affording to those of the students who possess musical tastes an opportunity of enjoying excellent instruction. A lady, whose name is withheld, presented a considerable sum for the musical education of the college choir. Regular instruction in singing is to be given the choir by Mr. Schnecker, of New York, who is leader of a choir in a prominent New York church. The Princeton students, it is said, sadly mindful of the usual vocal efforts every morning in the chapel, earnestly pray that the New York musician will have success.

A generous alumnus, also, has devoted a considerable sum to musical instruction. His gift is to be applied to the training of Class Glee Clubs. which are to have the pleasure and benefit of being trained by Mr. Schnecker and Prof. West. These Class Glee Clubs cannot fail of being a source of great pleasure and amusement to the fortunate members, and will also be a most excellent school for candidates for the College Glee Club, which, with the advantage of having so many candidates from which to make a selection, ought to be the equal of the Glee Club of any college in the country. So Princeton, which will have her Class Glee Clubs, and Yale, with a second Glee Club and a Freshman club to draw from, will soon be able to compete on equal terms in another grand contest for the championship, which will have the advantage that no blood will be shed, although we presume the Record and the Princetonian would never acknowledge which side was beaten. Some permanent arrangement for musical instruction will probably be made, if these first attempts meet with the success which they most certainly deserve.