Classes of Students at Oxford.

Turning from our American institutions of learning, where there exists a recognized equality among students, to English universities, we find there great class distinction. The under-graduates of the University of Oxford are divided into six distinct classes, distinguished from one another, not only by certain privileges, but even by their college dress. The following are these classes.

1. Noble men, being peers in their own right, who enjoy certain privileges and exemptions not accorded to others, in the choice of rooms, paving higher fees, doing less work, and attending fewer lectures. They have two kinds of dress; the first, which is worn on public occasions, is a gown of purple damask silk, richly ornamented with gold lace. The second is a black silk gown, with full sleeves. This is worn as an "every day" dress. With both these is worn the regulation "mortarboard" of black velvet, with gold tassel.

2. Gentlemen Commoners, being eldest sons, or men already in possession of estates. They have a better choice of rooms, associate at meals with the Fellows and other college authorities, pay double fees on entrance, and are charged more for tutorage than the usual fee. Their dress consists of two black silk gowns, the one richly ornamented with tassels for state occasions, and the other the ordinary dress.

3. Commoners, who pay for their board, and all other charges, and are not dependent on endowments for support. Their dress is a simple black gown.

4. Servitors, who are supported wholly or partly by the college funds. They were formerly required to wait at dinner on those of higher rank, and perform other menial services, besides being the butt of practical jokes. Their dress was similar to the Commoners, but less expensive.

5. Bible clerks, who enjoy certain scholarships, and were formerly required to attend all chapel services, and perform the same duties that are performed by our monitors.

6. Students unattached to any college or hall-"Specials." The dress of these last two classes is the same as that of the Servitors.