The Classics Question at Oxford.

The Oxford Review of a recent date contains the following: "A great change affecting the army, is announced, which has unusual importance to members of the university who may contemplate a military career. Hitherto, Latin and Greek have been included among the voluntary subjects of the final examination by which it was possible to obtain extra marks and thereby compensate for deficiencies in other respects. Many a man in the good old times has gone up, relying mainly on his classics to pull him through, and has been eventually pulled through in this way, though, perhaps, in rather a battered state. Classics, however, are now abolished entirely, and this cannot fail to have an important influence on the system of education pursued at the public schools, and must eventually exercise a diminishing effect on the number of university candidates. The importance of Classics as a branch of education has long been disputed with considerable ardour and ferocity; but there can be no doubt that a very important vote has now been registered against them."