Use of Library by Annex Students.

In his report on the University library, Mr. Justin Winsor describes the method by which books are obtained from the library by students from the Annex, and at the same time, explains what has puzzled so many students, why Annex students are never seen drawing out books. Mr. Winsor says: "A pass book, containing titles of books wished for, is sent by a messenger to Gore Hall twice a day. Many of the titles thus presented have all the defects of inexactness and ambiguity which come from inexperience in using titles, and, as it devolves upon the library attendants to attach shelf numbers to assist in finding the books, there is a considerable expediture of time on the library's part in aid of that institution. The over-night use by the 'Annex' of books which have been reserved for the special use of our own students is confined to such titles as, at the close of the day, have not been required to supply the latter. That their discrimination is necessary, appears from the fact that five-eighths of all books drawn by the Annex are from the 'reserved' shelves,- 518 of the 860 total issued to them being of this class, while of the 342 other issues, a large part have apparently no relation to their special studies, but belong to the class of general reading."