Prof. Paine's Historical Concert.

Prof Paine's second historical concert was given last night, in Sever 11. He had the assistance of Miss Edmunds, soprano, and Miss Eames, contralto. The special subject was the early opera of the Italian, French, and English schools. In the development of the contrapuntal church styles in the 16th century, melody had been entirely lost sight of. solo music had also been unknown; and in the first beginning of the opera, even the chief parts were taken by choruses of five or six voices. For two centuries, a feeling for lyric music had been growing: Ben Jonson, and Shakespeare introduced music into their dramatic performances. During the Renaissance, an effort was made by Italian scholars to revive the ancient Greek music; and to this is due the origin of recitative, and solo music, as we have it. The illustrations on this subject were especially interesting. Italian opera was introduced into France by Lully in 1645; an interesting illustration was given from the opera of Alceste.

After the Restoration, Italian opera was introduced into England; the most popular writer was Purcell, whose style was exemplified by the song "I Attempt from Love's Sickness to Fly," which has also been recently given in the Sanders Theatre series. In all, about a dozen illustrations were sung, which were heartily applauded. The next lecture will take up the early instrumental music to the time of Bach., and will come after the recess.