Mr. Jones' Reading.

Sever 11 was filled last night with one of the best audiences we have ever seen in that place. Every seat was filled, and many were obliged to stand during the whole time. There was an unusually large number of ladies present. The size of the audience made the air of the room rather oppressive and uncomfortable for both reader and listeners.

Mr. Jones' programme was made up of the description of Little Emily's first meeting with Steerforth, the story of her flight with him, the description of the wreck, and, lastly, the trial scene in Bardell vs. Pickwick. Curiously enough, Mr. Jones did some of his most effective work, and that which was least effective in the humorous portions of his selections. His rendering of the trial scene in Pickwick was capital; while the delineation of the humorous side of Peggotty's character was much less satisfactory. In the serious and emotional parts Mr. Jones was uniformly excellent. The stirring description of the wreck, and the breaking of the news to old Peggotty were particularly strong and impressive.