Voluntary Chapel.

A WORD IN ITS FAVOR FROM THE YALE PRESS.

The Yale Literary Magazine, in the course of an editorial on a recent freshman disturbance at prayers, expresses the following opinion about compulsory chapel attendance, which will be found to coincide very nearly with the view of the situation held by the students of Harvard:

"Yet any one who has attended morning chapel, and seen the way in which it is taken by the students, will not be so harsh in his judgement. Running from bed to breakfast, and then to chapel, half awake, with a half learned lesson, is it surprising that a man under such circumstances should lose the religious significance of the duty? As a revielle, a police regulation to get men out of bed, it does us good service: as a purely religious exercise, we fancy very few would affirm that, as the fact stands now, it is honorable either to the students, or to their religion. It is strange that within a week after the Harvard faculty had passed resolutions in favor of making morning chapel voluntary, an act in our own college should have confirmed the truth of their position, that no very deep religious significance is attached to a compulsory attendance by the average student."