Prof. Paine's Historical Concert.

Prof. Paine last evening traced the development of musical art under the influence of Handel and Bach. These two great composers gave a great impetus to the progress of music, and were among the earliest to develop the truly Tentonic school. The fortunes of the two men were widely different, though both were of the highest genius and contemporaries. Handel won immediate recognition, and lived in London, winning the highest honor and respect from the English people, while Bach remained in his obscure German home, but little known outside of it, and soon forgotten even there. Handel's memory and works have been kept alive ever since his death; while Bach's works were almost unknown till revised by Mendelssohn about 1820. Even his own sons and pupils seemed not to appreciate the vastness of his genius and allowed much of his work to be lost. The different careers of the two men are illustrated by the style of their works, Handel's being adapted to please the masses; he aimed to delight the many, while not displeasing the few. The result is that his works have a certain popular character. One secret of his success is found in the fact that he used largely English words. Bach, on the contrary, strove only to produce the highest and best works his genius could evolve. His fame conse quently was almost wholly posthumous; he is one of the most notable instances of neglected genius.

The lecture was illustrated by a varied and highly interesting programme selected from the two masters, which was rendered by Miss Eames, soprano; Miss Edmunds, contralto, Mr. Forchheimmer, '87, 'cello, and Prof. Paine himself. The selections included airs and a duet from operas by Handel, a Prelude and Fugue from Bach's Well Tempered clavichord; movements for piano and 'cello, and for 'cello solo from Sonatas by Bach, and his famous air from soprano and 'cello obligate. "My Heart Ever Faithful," from the Christmas Oratorio, which, particularly, was exquisitely rendered by Miss Eames and Mr. Forchheimer.